Forms to Guide AT Transitions
The EducationTech Point for Transition comes into play as individuals with disabilities move from class to class, school to school, or from school to community living. Without a plan about how assistive technology will be used in a new environment, assistive technology skills and assistive technology use may be lost in the move. Here are a variety of forms to guide transitions for people who use AT. They have varying levels of specificity to help your plan with your AT Team.
- Charting my course to Successful Transition- Click here to download Charting My Course to Successful Transition, a form to help students and teams plan for a successful transition that includes AT.
- Hey Can I try that?-A free, downloadable workbook for students who use assistive technology. Hey! Can I try that? uses an interview format to help students articulate their interests and desires around the use of AT. It is a useful tool in helping students to develop the self-determination skills around AT use that they will need as they move from school services to the community or higher education. Hey Can ITry That (2017 version) is also available in Spanish.
- Quality Indicators for Assistive Technology in Post Secondary Education (QIAT-PS)-An offshoot of the original QIAT project, the QIAT-PS project addresses the characteristics of high quality AT services at the college and university level. In addition to the QIAT-PS indicators for campuses, the project offers a set of Student Quality Indicators which describes the skills that a student will need in order to succeed with AT in a post-secondary educational environment. Both the campus and student indicators are available in a self-evaluation matrix.
- Self-Determination and AT Goal Setting Worksheet-This worksheet provides a quick checklist/self evaluation of self determination skills related directly to assistive technology use. The Self Determination and AT Goal Setting Worksheet is one of the original forms included in the Education Tech Points Manual.
- QIAT Transition Planning Worksheet for AT Users-Based on the guidelines in the QIAT Transition indicators, the Transition Planning Worksheet for AT Users can be used as a step by step guide to planning both in-school transitions and transitions from school to adult services.
- Transition Worksheet for Early Intervention and School-Based Physical Therapy Providers- Developed by a collaborative task force of the Early Intervention Special-Interest Group and the School-Based Physical Therapy Special-Interest Group, Section on Pediatrics of the American Physical Therapy Association which was chaired by Denise Swensen, PT, DPTA, the Transition Worksheet for Early Intervention and School-Based Physical Therapy Providers worksheet uses the structure of the International Classification of Function (ICF) to review all transition needs, including the need for AT in EI and School-based Transitions.
- WATI transition Portfolios- Visit the WATI website to download the Teacher Resource and Transition Portfolio and the Student Resource and Student Portfolio. Both tools offer step-by-step help in planning for transitions for students who use AT.